Beginner to Bestseller! How To Write A Page-Turning Novel…
From first page to first book deal, bestselling author Juliet Madison will show you how to craft a page-turning novel in any genre, and how to get it out into the world, so you can go from…
BEGINNER TO BESTSELLER!
Do you dream of seeing your own book on the shelves in bookstores? Or perhaps you want to experience the thrill of completing a novel and ticking it off your bucket list?
That was me ten years ago.
I remember walking into a bookstore one day and thinking… who are these people that write all these books? They seemed like some sort of magical breed of humans that lived in an alternate reality. But then I thought… well, they had to start somewhere, right? What if I too, could be one of those people and see my book on the shelves?
The idea simmered for a while, and when a change of my circumstances came about forcing me to rethink my priorities and life direction, I decided it was the time. I would write a novel, just to see if I could do it. Nobody had to know if I didn’t want them to, I would do it behind closed doors and then if I thought it was any good, maybe I’d show someone…
I completed my first novel in one year, and was hooked. Another one soon followed, and then another. Fast Forward ten years later (sorry, couldn’t resist adding a book pun – Fast Forward was my first published novel!), and I’ve written over twenty books and had eighteen published. Some have been on the shelves in Big W, Target, and Dymocks in Australia, as well as Walmart in the USA and Barnes & Noble in New York City. I work with four publishers in Australia and the United States, have an American literary agent, have been a finalist in a few awards, and have reached the Amazon US Top 100 and the Amazon Australia Top 5.
So how did I go from beginner to bestseller?
I’m going to share everything I learned along the way and everything I wish I’d known back then in a brand new face-to-face workshop, and I’d love to meet you and show you!
Whether you’ve already been writing for a while or you haven’t yet written a word but want to, this workshop is for you – a complete guide to writing a great novel from start to finish and beyond.
In this one-day workshop, we’ll cover topics including STORY IDEAS, PLOTTING, CHARACTERISATION, THE WRITING PROCESS, REVISING AND EDITING, PUBLISHING AND MARKETING. You’ll walk away with a bucket load of enthusiasm and motivation, and a clear plan on how to start, restart, or enhance your writing.
- What makes a bestselling novel?
- How to choose the right genre or genres for you (hint: you don’t HAVE to stick to one. I write four.)
- How to know if your story idea will work
- How to come up with an idea if you don’t have one
- How to outline your story, and how to make sure it has all the essential plot elements
- Writing from different points-of-view
- Scenes versus chapters, how to divide your novel into parts
- How to fit writing into a busy life and make it a priority
- Dealing with procrastination and self-doubt
- How to create authentic characters that come to life on the page
- Choosing names and titles, and creating your fictional world
- Writing and editing techniques to create a page-turning effect with your readers
- How to get your readers (or an agent or publisher) invested in your story
- How to self-edit and polish your work to make it shine
- The publishing options available to new authors, and how to submit your book to an agent or publisher
- How to get your name out there and create a marketing platform
- How to build excitement and anticipation around your book release
If you want to kickstart your writing and finish that book, or get back into the writing game after a break, or start your very first story, I am here to help.
The workshop will have limited numbers so there’ll be a chance to ask questions and get feedback on your ideas, and meet fellow writers.
This workshop will be presented in TWO locations, so you can choose the option that suits you most. The first will be in Gerringong on the beautiful south coast of NSW, Australia, and the second will be in Wollongong, only 90 minutes from Sydney.
Here are the full details:
SAT, JULY 27, 2019: The Collective Beat, 107 Fern Street, Gerringong NSW, 11:00am – 3:30pm.
SAT, SEPT 28, 2019: Chatterbox Market, Level 1 Crown Building, Wollongong Central, NSW, 11:00am – 3:30pm.
Both are within easy distance of public transport, or parking options are available.
Here is our schedule for the day:
- 10:45am meet and greet for an 11am prompt start
- 11:00am Session 1
- 12:30pm lunch (BYO or purchase at the many cafes and eateries nearby). Nibbles and refreshments will also be provided for you at the workshop.
- 1:15pm Session 2
- 2:45pm Q&A and discussion
- 3:30pm Finish
Plus, one lucky attendee will win a hamper of writerly goodies!
To attend, your investment for the day is $140, but if you book before July 14 the early bird special is only $99! (*before 31 Aug for the Wollongong workshop)
…Are you ready to write that bestseller?!
BOOK NOW! Limited places available! >>
1. GERRINGONG WORKSHOP – SAT, JULY 27, 2019:
$140 $99 (early bird until July 14, or until booked out)
2. WOLLONGONG WORKSHOP – SAT, SEPT 28, 2019:
$140 $99 (early bird until Aug 31, or until booked out)
I can’t wait to guide you towards creating an awesome novel, and seeing YOUR book on the shelves one day!
Juliet Madison is a bestselling and award-nominated author of 18 books in fiction and self-help, an inspirational colouring book artist, and a self-empowerment and writing coach/tutor.
With her background as a naturopath and a dancer, Juliet is passionate about health, fitness, and living a positive life. She likes to combine her love of words, art, and inspiration to create books that entertain and empower readers to love, laugh, and live.
Juliet lives on the picturesque south coast of NSW, Australia, where she spends as much time as possible writing books and as little time as possible doing housework. She is represented by literary agent Joelle Delbourgo, and published by Escape Publishing/Harlequin Harper Collins Australia, Diversion Books USA, Sourcebooks USA, and Dover Publications.