Posted by Juliet Madison
In this new segment, authors will be subjected to a list of awkward questions that may reveal more about themselves than they really wish to share, and they will receive a score on the ‘Braveometer’. If they choose to answer only five questions, they are a ‘Brave Author’, if they answer 6 to 9 questions they are a ‘Mega-Brave Author’, and if they answer all 10 questions they are an ‘Ultra-Brave Author’!
Today I’d like to welcome romantic suspense author Helene Young, who has kindly offerred to give away a copy of Shattered Sky to one lucky commentor!
1. If only one of your books could have been / could be published, which one would you choose? (C’mon, I don’t want to hear ‘Oh, I love them all, there’s no way I could choose.’ Time to be ruthless, these are the Ten Awkward Questions after all!)
Oh no… that’s traitorous not awkward 🙂 Ok I’ve hardened up – Wings of Fear because it’s subject matter is so dear to my heart.
2. Okay, now which one of your children/family members would you… nah, just kidding! Which of the following words most accurately describes your best personality trait (you must pick only one!): Punctual. Good listener. Neat. Graceful. Generous. Cheerful.
Hmm… Can I add one of my own? You don’t have obsessive there! No? Ok I’ll go with punctual then because no one wants their pilot to be late 🙂
3. Which of the following words most accurately describes your worst most challenging personality trait (even if you’re perfect, you must pick one): Always late. Blabbermouth. Slob. Complete klutz. Scrooge. Grumpy pants.
Go with complete klutz… My husband used to call me Frank after Frank Spencer in Some Mothers do ‘Ave em…
4. Have you ever had a romantic crush on one of your characters? Who and why?
Oh yes, all of them are serious crushes but Ryan in Burning Lies is my most debilitating crush. I didn’t want his story to end.
5. When writing an important scene, do you act it out to allow you to better describe what’s happening?
No, but I read the dialogue aloud and I have been known to try kissing my husband in unusual embraces, normally to poor effect.
6. Do you talk to yourself when writing or coming up with plot ideas?
Yep, and I pull faces! Not good if I’m in a coffee shop or airport lounge… Probably look quite deranged.
7. Who would be ideal to play YOU in a movie of your life?
Can I have Judy Dench or or Helen Mirren?
8. If you could be any book character for one day, who would you be and why?
Lily from Phillipa Fioretti’s book The Book of Love. I’d get to wear vintage dresses, float around in a dreamy haze, eat luscious jam and have gorgeous men fall at my feet.
9. You’re about to be left on a deserted island for a year, and while your basic food and water needs will be met, you can only bring one extra thing from the following. Which would you choose?
a) A pen and notepad that never runs out
b) An unlimited supply of books
c) An unlimited supply of chocolate, coffee, or alcohol (your choice)
d) A gorgeous man/woman depending on your preference
Easy, a) Pen and notepad because then I can create the gorgeous man, write my own stories and be forceably weaned off my caffeine addiction.
10. If you had the attention of the whole world for two minutes what would you say?
Can you lot be a bit more tolerant of each other? If you don’t like someone then stay away from them. Don’t get in their face and starting shouting! Sharing is good. Spread the love. 🙂
Thanks Helene! Helene’s website is here.
WIN! To be in the running for a copy of Shattered Sky (must be in Australia), comment below and tell us who YOU think should play Helene in a movie of her life. Prize will be drawn on Monday 12th December.
If you’d like to buy a signed copy for a Christmas present, or just for yourself, contact Helene.
Helene’s books are now available on Kindle too! Check them out here.
And now for Helene’s award…(drumroll)… Helene, you are an ‘Ultra-Brave Author’!!